Thursday, April 10, 2014


Yesterday was Emma's MRI. We got there a little before 8 am. As you can see she looks super cute even in that hospital    gown. I think every nurse who saw her commented on how pretty her flower was.
She really did very well and luckily they only did sedation and not local aniathesia. They put an IV in and gave her the medication she feel asleep in the room with us. 
They wheeled her off to the MRI room. We waited for almost 2 1/2 hours they brought us back and nurse said she had already woke up, and she couldn't believe how much of a little trooper she was. When we finally saw her she was barely awake. Now before she went to sleep we had to take her flower out and the first thing she says to me when she woke up was, Hi Mom...Can you put my flower back in my hair. 
So we had to keep her awake for 15 minutes, before we could leave and let me tell you don't let this picture fool you she was so out of it barely awake but I got her to smile so I could take a picture and got this picture while Dad and Payton were messing with her which didn't make her to happy
Her attempt at giving them dirty look. So finally she gets discharged it's now  almost 2pm and we walk over to the Neuro surgeon who has to reprogram her shunt and read the results of the MRI. Both Nick and I are super anxious at this point poor Emma is asleep in her wheelchair and Payton was just done by this point and probably would have rathered to be a school. We finally see the doctor which seriously felt like an eternity. We talk about her symptoms she  has been having and I expressed my feeling on her weakness. So he pulls her scans up and shows us them. Explains to us that it's hard to tell and allot of times you really have to go off the symptoms because you will of course have a built of scare tissue, but looking at her images he said it looks like she has more scare tissue then he would like to see and her cord is pulled down more then it should be. He recommended her to have the dethethering surgery and said we shouldn't wait any longer then two months. We agreed we would do it after school ends. I have so many feelings about it. I'm upset that I didn't push harder to get the other doctor to do the MRI sooner and it does piss me off he was so wrong BUT on the other hand I am thankful that we are with a Doctor I know is rated one of the best doctors in the country and seriously I wouldn't want that other doctor operating on her any ways after such a bad judgment call. I'm such a firm believer that every thing happens for a reason. So the surgery takes about 4-5 hours and she will be in the hospital for 3-5 days and needs to limit activity for 2 weeks. The risks of the surgery is it's possible for her to become more weak after the surgery and 10% chance that within the first couple of days it could cause her shunt to malfunction because the change in pressure can clog the tubbing. The surgery will probably be middle of June.
Hope for the best and worry less. 

No comments:

Post a Comment